Search This Blog

Monday, June 17, 2013

Not So Fast...

So I thought my shin had healed... not so much. Or at least, not entirely. I started slowly. I was walking only. Then adding in some exercises. Then slow running. And it was there, a dull ache. But it wasn't painful, so I thought I just needed to stretch it out a little as I got back into it. And since then I have added on everything I could look up to help with them. I'm taping them with Rock Tape. I'm taking ibuprofen (anti-inflammatory). I'm doing specific exercises like leg lifts to strengthen my muscles. I got a foam exercise roller to massage my legs. All that was just keeping it at a dull ache while running, so I think I have finally realized that I need to do all of that AND rest for a bit longer to let them fully heal.

The bright side is that I get to enjoy this amazing San Diego weather and start a new book to read on my lunch breaks!

On a side note, I completed my first 5K in a decade. And I was pretty pleased - I only added a minute and a half to my total time, at about 9:30 per mile, not too shabby. If I can just get this damn shin healed I know I  can blow that out of the water with some real workouts!

No comments:

Post a Comment